Single Survival During The Corona- Part Four
The Corona Quarantine Breakup
Similar to COVID19, if your relationship had a pre-existing unhealthy condition; you were not going to make it through quarantine and still be a couple. Unlike Pre-Corona break-ups, during quarantine breakup your usual distractors of handling it have been stripped away! No going to happy hours, spending hours at the gym, hiking Runyon Canyon, escaping to the salon to talk shit with your hairstylist. You are forced to deal with a break up by yourself… ALONE!!! This can make handling a quarantine breakup super difficult. Here are some helpful tips to get through a quarantine breakup.
- Realize the relationship did not end because of Quarantine.
- Quarantine is not what caused the breakup, it just escalated the inevitable.
- Be honest with yourself and the issues the relationship had way before this unprecedented time.
- This is important for you to be able to move on.
- Recognize when you were the virtual side piece
- For a lot of singles this quarantine has brought to light they were not the number one person in their significant other’s life. Because of quarantine people cannot make time and find time to sneak off and spend time with you. This might have been unbeknownst to you until now.
- It is unfortunate, but once you realize you were in a relationship that was not exclusive (although you thought it was). Time to move on.
- Don’t blame yourself for this. You would not have known had this not happened. In a weird way, it’s a gift, you no longer are wasting time on someone who doesn’t see you as number 1. You were able to cut your losses.
- Do not make excuses for the excuses.
- Do not become a Social Media Break-Up Poet
- You have more time on your hands than usual during this break up. You have a lot of time to self-reflect. That does not mean the entire world needs to know your every thought.
- Your bored, vulnerable and lonely. Use a journal to write down your deepest thoughts, not social media!
- Do not become a Quarantine Breakup Stalker.
- This is not the time to creep on your ex’s page. This will not help with the breakup. You will see things you don’t want to see. Even worse, you might have tried to reach out and they did not respond and you see they had time to make a post on social media. This will not help you!
- Remember, you cannot escape like you normally would. So going on the page will send you over the age. Don’t set yourself up for failure.
- Social Media is NOT your friend during a quarantine breakup. It can cause you to spiral out of control.
- Reach out to your Carrie’s, Samantha’s, Miranda’s and Charlotte’s (Sex and the City)
- This is the time to have your girl squad on deck. They will get you through this time.
- Pick friends who you can trust and won’t judge you for your feelings.
- Be kind to yourself
- Don’t beat up on yourself. This is going to take time. And keep in mind this is going to take extra time.
- You have broken up during a pandemic and in self isolation. Allow yourself to go through the motions and feel whatever you need to feel without judgment.
- Cry, scream, journal, exercise, sleep in, DO YOU!
- Don’t rush to get on dating apps
- Get through the break up.
Most of remember… You will get through this. This is just a speed bump in time.